These mini birch bead wreath ornaments are a quick, easy Christmas DIY project. The simple wooden beaded wreaths look lovely on the tree or hanging in a window with some fairy lights.
The hardest part of this craft is finding wooden beads that you like. I couldn’t find the right ones at the dollar store. I did find them at the craft store but they were so expensive! I only bought one pack. I ended up ordering them off Amazon, where a package with ten times as many beads was the same price. Sourcing the right thickness of floral wire (in a colour you like) can also be tricky. I’m all for ordering online. The DIY itself is quick once you have the right supplies!
Just thread the beads onto the wire, bending the wire into a circle. Trim the extra wire and push the ends into one bead to hide them. Then tie a ribbon loop between two beads. Easy peasy! Detailed instructions are below.
Supplies: Birch Bead Wreath Ornaments
- Birch wood beads (I used the 14 mm diameter beads)
- 22 or 24 gauge floral wire (silver blends in, copper stands out)
- Multitool, or wire cutters and needlenose pliers (I LOVE my Leatherman!!)
- Ruler (optional)
Steps: How to Make Mini Birch Bead Wreath Ornaments
- Cut a piece of floral wire about 30 cm (1 foot) long.
- Thread the 9 beads onto the middle of the piece of wire.
- Bend the wire so that the beads form a circle in the middle of the wire.
- Use the pliers to twist the ends of the wire together to affix the beads in a circle. The beads should be fairly tightly packed, but leave a bit of space in the loop to fit the ribbon in.
- Cut off the extra wire ends. Leave a 1 cm length of twisted wire attached to the loop to keep the circle fastened.
- Use the pliers to push the twisted ends of wire into a wooden bead to hide the connection.
- Tie some ribbon around the loop, threading it between any two beads in the wreath ornament.
These wreath ornaments are a lovely little craft to do in the days leading up to Christmas. A friend of mine made a variation of this craft with her kids using pipe cleaners instead of floral wire (much easier to work with!). However you decide to make these wreath ornaments, they’ll make a lovely addition to your holiday decor.
Saving this project for later? Pin it!
Check out these other natural holiday decor DIY’s:
Do you make your own Christmas ornaments? What are your favourite handmade ornaments? Share your questions and stories in the comments below!