After five years of seeding and reseeding various lawns, I’ve had the best grass seed results with plain, fresh, mainstream perennial grass seed mixes without any filler ingredients.
In northern areas, those who are keen on lawn care generally plant a mix that contains mainly Kentucky bluegrass, with perhaps a bit of fine fescue and less than 20% perennial ryegrass. Bermuda grass is popular in southern areas. Blends of fine fescue or tall fescue are great for low-maintenance lawns.
- Scott’s “Awesome” Mix
- Wildflower Farm Eco-Lawn Grass Seed (High-Quality Fine Fescues)
- Scott’s Bermudagrass
Read on to learn more about what to look for in the best grass seed.
Choosing Grass Seed: What’s Important
Keep these factors in mind when choosing grass seed for your lawn:
- Is it fresh? The best grass seed has been manufactured for the current growing season, rather than years past.
- Will it grow here? There are different varieties of turf grasses for different climates and regions. Grass types for Florida are different than mixes for Canadian lawns.
- Will it survive winter? Perennial grass seed is bred to grow year after year. Annual grass seed only lasts until the grass is killed off by cold winter conditions. Save yourself the cost and effort and choose perennial types of grass seed.
- How much of the bag is actually grass seed? Added ingredients like coatings, mulch, and fertilizer mean fewer seeds in the bag. These fillers make for great marketing, but you’re better off just buying grass seed when you buy grass seed.
- Will you be able to buy more of this grass seed every year? Even on an established lawn, there will always be patches to fill in, areas to even out, or other little lawn projects. Choosing a grass seed mix manufactured by a mainstream brand provides some sort of reliability that your lawn won’t look too spotty after a few years.
Why Buy Brand-Name?
Large grass seed manufacturers are improving their grass seed every year by breeding for quick germination, disease resistance and drought tolerance. You can also find it again next year! Patches of different grass varieties on one lawn is not a look most homeowners are going for on purpose.
Most grass seed problems can be avoided simply by choosing fresh grass seed suited to your area.
Outgoing links in this post may be affiliate links in which this site receives a portion of sales at no extra cost.