My Mother-in-Law makes the most incredible lemon poppy seed loaf. When Kyle had to go gluten-free, we thought he’d have to give up baked treats like that…but we were wrong! His mom took up the GF challenge and experimented with a variety of different gluten-free flours. Here is the gluten-free lemon poppy seed loaf that she now makes for us.
Just a warning – this recipe does contain sugar. Very few recipes I make include refined sugar, but this one does. I used to have a crazy sweet tooth, so it’s nice to reminisce. Do know that this loaf freezes well, so you don’t have to eat the whole thing right away!
This gluten-free lemon poppy seed loaf is dense, not-too-sweet, and smells delicious when it’s in the oven. It’s the perfect treat with a cup of tea on a chilly morning. This loaf also freezes well, and can be doubled.
Ingredients: GF Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups gluten-free all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- Zest of 1 lemon (fine zest)
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice (about 1 lemon)
- 2 Tbsp poppy seeds
Use your favourite gluten-free flour blend for this recipe. One that is commonly available in our area and works well is the Robin Hood Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour. This is the type that my Mother-in-Law now uses because it bakes well and doesn’t contain corn starch. If this isn’t available in your area, or you have a different favourite GF flour preference (such as an organic option or a blend with chia/flax for texture rather than Xanthan Gum), use that and feel free to adjust the recipe as you see fit.
Steps: Gluten-Free Lemon Poppy Seed Loaf
- Let the butter, eggs, and buttermilk stand separately at room temperature for 1/2 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease the loaf pan.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Combine the lemon juice and the zest in a small bowl, to let the zest soak up the juice.
- Place the butter in a mixer bowl and beat on high for 30 seconds (or mix with a wooden spoon).
- Gradually add the sugar to the butter. Beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the vanilla.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each egg.
- Add the flour mixture and buttermilk, alternating between the two, beating after each addition.
- Mix in the shredded lemon peel, lemon juice, and poppy seeds.
- Pour the mixture into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 60-75 minutes.
I should note that my Mother-in-Law makes this loaf in her wood stove. We were joking that I should add 4 sticks of birch wood to the ingredient list for this recipe, as fuel to get the wood stove hot enough!
Have you tried baking gluten-free lemon poppy seed loaf? How did it turn out? Share your stories in the comments section below!