Looking for a gift for someone who loves gardening? These gifts for organic gardeners include ideas for those who love gardening outdoors, on the patio, and even indoors. Best of all, they’re all affordable and easy to order online or from a local independent garden centre.
Gifts for Organic Gardeners
1. Moleskin Gardening Journal – This moleskin gardening journal is a classic gift for the organized organic gardener. Gardeners love to make notes about what crops grew well, when the seasons changed, and other useful tidbits that will be helpful in the future. Give them this beautiful journal to keep their notes organized next year! Moleskin gardening journals are available from Amazon or your local bookseller.
2. Bee House – A bee house is the perfect present for a gardener looking to provide shelter to pollinators. Some bees, such as mason bees, can’t create their own shelters and instead look for nesting areas. Bee houses provide these beneficial insects with shelter. The bees will reward the gardener by helping with pollination in the garden. This classic mason bee house is from Amazon, modern 3D-printed bee houses can be ordered from Etsy, and pollen bee nests can be ordered from EarthEasy.
3. Air Plants – Air plants make gorgeous gifts for organic gardeners or plant lovers. They are unique plants in that they don’t require any soil to grow. Air plants are often used in home decor and look lovely in an arrangement or on their own. They’re long-lived and low maintenance. Pick up a collection of small air plants or a stunning large xerographica air plant. Air plants can be found online at Amazon or can be ordered on Etsy.
4. LED Plant Light – Good plant lights are necessary for everything from seed starting to growing indoor herb gardens. Indoor plants rarely get enough light in the wintertime, so a good plant light is a must for a year-round gardener. This dedicated plant light will give plants the light boost they need in the wintertime. Find it on Amazon.
5. Sun Hat – A good sun hat is something most gardeners wish they had. A good gardening hat provides UV protection and is sturdy enough to handle the odd twig brushing against it. This basic sun hat can be ordered online, or you can look for one locally.
6. Harvest Basket – Harvest baskets are lovely garden accessories. Most gardeners have a few of these, as it’s nice to have one out by the garden, another by the door, and even one in the kitchen with fresh garden produce. Harvest baskets are great gifts for organic gardeners because it’s something you’ll know they’ll use! Choose from the antique-style wire baskets or a larger-capacity food-grade plastic trug basket.
7. Gaia’s Garden – Gaia’s Garden is a classic gardening book which teaches organic gardening beyond the basics. This book describes how to work with nature to create a sustainable, productive landscape based on ecological principles. This is a great gift for an organic gardener who is comfortable in their garden and wants to be inspired by a wholistic way of gardening. Gaia’s garden can be ordered online or found at a local bookseller.
8. Soil Test Kit – A soil test kit is the perfect gift for the organic gardener who loves data. If your gardener is the analytical Type-A gardener, a soil test kit will help them pinpoint exactly which nutrients are available and which are lacking in their soil. Find it online or at your local garden centre.
9. Bird Feeder – A suet bird feeder is a practical gift for the gardener who wants to attract birds to their garden. Birds eat pest insects during the gardening season, but insects are scarce in the cooler months. Gardeners can ensure a healthy population of birds by attracting them to their yard early in the year by putting out suet. The high calorie feeder will attract birds like chickadees, wrens, and bluebirds which will hopefully roost nearby and stay to eat pest insects all summer! Suet bird feeders are available online or locally, as are the replaceable suet cakes. You can even order handmade organic suet cakes on Etsy!
10. Cacti or Succulent Bowl – Cacti and succulents are the perfect plants for indoor container gardens. You can make your own succulent or cactus bowl to give as a gift. Succulent and cacti collections are reasonably priced. You can use a bowl you already have or find one at the thrift shop. Follow these instructions to plant your own bowl for a handmade garden gift!
11. Garden Kneeler Pad – Garden kneeling pads are really nice to have. They honestly make a big difference in comfort when you’re weeding or planting out the garden. Choose from a basic foam kneeling pad, a fancier memory foam pad, or an extra-large mat.
12. Paper Planter Pot Maker – a paper planter pot maker is the perfect gift for a sustainable gardener. These clever little tools transform pieces of newspaper into biodegradable plant pots for growing plants from seeds or cuttings. Find the plant pot maker on Amazon or online at EarthEasy.
13. Solar Mason Jar Garden Lights – These handy solar-powered LED fairy twinkle lights transform a standard mason jar into a magical garden lantern. It almost looks like a jar full of fireflies. Add them to mason jars to create magical garden lighting. You can even buy mason jar handles and lantern posts to create a garden lantern path. These solar-powered LED jar inserts can be ordered online.
14. Self-Watering Plant Spikes – Self-watering plant spikes keep plants watered during vacations or any time that slow, consistent watering is required. Simply attach an old wine bottle full of water onto the terra cotta spike and the water will slowly drain down to the plant through the terra cotta. Pretty neat! Find these self-watering plant spikes on Amazon or at your local independent garden centre.
15. Fresh Herb Leaf Remover – This clever leaf-removing gadget quickly strips the leaves off herbs and greens such as kale, rosemary, and thyme. The stem fits through the correctly-sized hole, allowing for the leaves to be removed in one go. This is much faster than individually removing the leaves. This is a great gift for the home chef who loves to use their own homegrown herbs and greens in their kitchen on a regular basis. Find it online at Amazon or at Williams-Sonoma.
16. Seed Keeper – A seed keeper is a binder or box used to store extra seeds from one year to the next. They bring order to what can be a messy collection of half-used seed packets and ziplock bags. Store-bought seed keepers suit the beginner gardener or gardener with a limited number of crops. Gardeners with an extensive seed collection may want a homemade solution tailored to the size of their collection. Make them a custom container and consider getting them their own blank seed packets (particularly if they save their own seeds from their plants each year).
17. Car Gardening Kit – A car gardening kit is something most gardeners have wished for at some point but often haven’t had the time to put together. If your gardener likes to help out at the community garden, volunteer to do landscaping at non-profits, forage for native plants, or collect seeds in the wilderness, they’ll appreciate a car gardening kit. Must-haves include a bucket (to hold the other items and to transport plants), a trowel or proper travel shovel, a set of pruning shears, gardening gloves, and ziplock bags. If you already have a bucket and some ziplock bags around, the rest of the items can be picked up cheaply to create a custom kit that will be incredibly useful for your on-the-go organic gardener. A kneeling pad and apron are optional extras. Alternatively, you can buy a gardening set (like the one pictured above) and use that to create a car gardening kit.
18. Soil Meter – Soil meters are perfect gifts for organic gardeners that love optimizing the conditions of their plants. A soil meter will allow them to measure the light and water that a plant receives in it’s setting outdoors, as well as the pH of the soil. This allows the gardener to ensure the plant is getting the right amount of water and to place plants in areas that get the right amount of light. Find it online or at your local independent garden centre.
19. Hand Weeder – A hand weeding tool is a must-have for gardeners. It’s good to have a few of these around at different parts of the yard. It’s one gardening tool that can be overlooked, but once they have it, they’ll wonder what they did without it. Choose between the classic cape cod style weeder and the Japanese style weeding hoe.
20. Edible Flower Seeds – Edible flower seeds are perfect gifts for organic gardeners who want to grow something a little more interesting next year to add to dishes like salads and desserts. Flowers can be a bit tricky to grow from seed, but it’s worth it! Choose from an edible flower gardening kit or simply a package of mixed edible flower seeds. Edible flower gardening gift sets are available on Amazon and from SeedsNow, while packs of mixed edible flower seeds are available from Botanical Interests.
More Gifts for Organic Gardeners
Need more ideas? For more gifts for organic gardeners, check out:
- my gardener’s gift wish list (which I update regularly)
- 12 handmade etsy gifts for nature lovers
- DIY natural holiday ornaments
- the ultimate gardening gift guide
- magical gifts for garden witches
Saving this post for later (or sending it as a hint!)? Pin it!