Home for the Harvest is an independent home & garden website focused on organic living. Home for the Harvest was started as a hobby in 2015 by Mary Jane Duford after she outgrew her earlier Tumblr blog. The Home for the Harvest YouTube Channel was launched in 2019. The site is based in Canada (USDA Gardening Zone 5).
This website serves to share about living a healthier life through organic gardening, choosing clean plant-based products, making nourishing food, and connecting with nature on a daily basis. Come along and create a healthy and productive home.
The Home for the Harvest Garden
Mary Jane here! My garden has been a key part of building a healthy home ever since my first countertop garden in my little northern condo. Having moved south, my garden has expanded! My husband and I now live in a heritage home with lots of room in the yard for both edible plants and beautiful flowers.
Why I Garden
- Starting my edible garden was my first step towards truly owning my food. I now have complete confidence that my produce is truly organic and free from toxic chemicals. It is “real food”.
- Fresh, homegrown fruit, vegetables, and even flowers are a luxury that cannot often be purchased. Nothing from the store tastes quite like a tomato picked straight off the vine.
- Organic produce is not always available where we live. I know that organic food is worth searching for, but it’s simply impossible to find some items where we live (or if we do, its imported from a different country).
- Growing food connects us to nature in a way that pre-packaged foods simply can’t. Real food can be messy, challenging, and doesn’t always look as pretty as the plastic-wrapped options in the produce section.
- Flowers are one of life’s simple pleasures. Finding organic flowers isn’t exactly easy though. It’s so much more calming to walk out into the backyard and collect some fresh blossoms for the kitchen than it is to buy a cellophane-wrapped bouquet of something that “ships and stores well”.
- There is something extremely satisfying about going out to the backyard to collect greens for dinner and some flowers for the kitchen table.
- Producing my own raw materials makes me feel like I’ve got my life together, even if things are otherwise a bit of a mess.
Gardening is for those who care enough about where food comes from to learn about the food production process from start to finish. It’s for those of us trying to eat real food, despite the cheap temptations that surround us. It’s for those of us who want to take some responsibility for the Earth and the effect our lives have on our natural surroundings.
Most of all, gardening is for those who desire a
You can do this.
I’ll show you the tips and tricks that have helped me go from gardening newbie to a confident organic gardener. I write about what works for me, but also about what doesn’t. Most of all, I want you to succeed in creating a healthy home that works for you and your life.